Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Let's Talk

I had a mom who was a stickler for grammar. All through my childhood and well into my adulthood she would correct my speech if I slipped even a bit. "Don't end a sentence with a preposition." "That's a double negative." "That's lay down, not lie down." (Or is it lie down, not lay down? I don't remember). Yep, oops, yes, this got old very quickly, and I admit I put a stop to it later on in my life. But I have to say that it really did teach me a lot of correct speaking, and today I value what was drilled into me. The irony of this for me is that my mother was southern born and raised (the south has sort of been looked upon as linguistically inferior to the north), and she never went to college. But she was educated, nonetheless, and, by golly, (notice all the commas, I hope I got them all correct, darn it, correctly) she was going to make sure her kids got it right.

I came across this test on the web, and having taken it, I was intrigued by the results. I can definitely see some Kentucky influence in the 20%, and the 5% midwestern is from my dad. By the way, General American English really means Californian. We speak it right out here in the Golden State!

Have a great day.

Your Linguistic Profile:

55% General American English

20% Dixie

10% Yankee

5% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

5 comments:

Benjamin Ady said...

Steve,

I ran across this little exchange in a book not that long ago:

-Although there are lots of instances in English where a double negative equals a postive, there are no known instances where a double positive equals a negative.

-Yeah, right!

RCM- Steve said...

Cool, Benjamin! Thanks for stopping by. Blessings to you & your family.

Anonymous said...

Steve, I just had to take the test which was fun. Even though I have taught elementary, I still make many mistakes. Thanks for the information.

80% General American English

10% Yankee

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Dixie

0% Midwestern

Anonymous said...

I find it funny that Red Sox fans are usually classified as yankees.
grrr. :)

45% Yankee

35% General American English

10% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

Debby said...

Took the test. Rats, thought I had gotten rid of all my Upper Midwest slang. I know I had a lot more when I married Mr. V, he was always very amused....