Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Synchroblogging: movies and Christianity

My first attempt at synchroblogging. And I don't think I got it right. Oh well, here's my thoughts on the subject.

I go to movies to be moved more than any other reason. I like to laugh, and some light-hearted fare provides some good temporary escape from the demands of life, but I long to be moved in my heart by what I've seen and heard on the big screen.

And redemption themes ring my bell more than any other. I will NEVER, NEVER forget the scene of Jesus hanging on the cross, blood running down His arms and legs, mingling in with the flowing rivulets of storming rain water, spreading down the mountain and across the land, as Miriam and Tirzah are suddenly healed of horrific leprosy in the movie Ben Hur. I viewed this on tv at the tender age of 15, six whole months before I would discover my Savior for myself. I tried to swallow a sudden squeak, a cry climbing up from within, trembling, wanting the rescue that they received. I look back now at the not so tender age of 50, and the movie seems oh so 1950's melodramatic. But that scene went inside of me to a place that has never relinquished the hope I received that day.

Other redemptive favorite moments? When Shoe-less Joe Jackson looks at Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams, and says, "this was all for you". When Luke Skywalker begins crying, "Father, save me" in Return of the Jedi. When the victim and the murderer, the itinerant cotton farmer and the widow, the adulterer and his wife, when the orphan boy and his sister pass our Lord's cup at the very end of Places In The Heart. There are more, many more, but these are some of my best.

9 comments:

Josh Rivera said...

You've got a movie brother here. I haven't seen some of the movies you mentioned (I'm at the tender age of 18) but I grew up on the old Star Wars movies. I felt the same way at that part. I feel that there are few greater pictures in our culture of redemption and absolute love. It definitely became a part of me...good post.

Debby said...

Wonderful post Buddy. Josh's comment has now made me feel old, "Grew up on the old Star Wars movies".... I will add Lilies of the Fields as a good moving movie that is also fun.

Agent B said...

Ahh man. I have loved that "Places in the Heart" for years. Good stuff.

IZenBet said...

i've come to love the Ben Hur radio drama from focus on the family. it's such a great story to close eyes and visualize. hope all is well out in Cali.
good to meet you at the conference!

RCM- Steve said...

Josh,
Thanks for the comment. For one of "tender age", you are one smart dude! Tell me some more of your favorite movies (and why they're your favorites).

RCM- Steve said...

Debby,
I loved Lilies of the Field when I saw it as a youngster. Some of the finest acting with a powerful message. And yeah, reflecting back on past movies makes feel old, too!

RCM- Steve said...

agent b, my texas brother,

and didn't they get the setting correct in Places in the Heart? I mean wasn't it filmed in Waxahachie, Texas? It really did have a Texas feel to me.

How's the great mother city?

RCM- Steve said...

Elizabeth,
Thanks for visiting my page. I had a great time with everyone when John & I came out to visit. You, and everyone I met there are super great Jesus-followers!

Agent B said...

I had meant to write "that ENDING SCENE IN Place...". But yes, I like that movie anyway.

The fair mother city is fine.

Some days I wish I was back in Salem. ha.