Saturday, May 5, 2007

God For People Who Hate Church

John Smulo & I are here at the above named conference. A panel of speakers just finished presenting different ways to be out-reaching to those who don't know the Lord. The emphasis in this conference, though, is two fold:

1. Learning how to show love & respect in our approach by using language that is unassuming and unoffensive.

2. Being a people of action that affects the welfare and immediate needs of the community and individuals we know. This is sometimes known as the "social gospel" but is known around here as the gospel in action.

A lot has been said about becoming very excellent listeners, something that seems to be lacking in the evangelical world. "People won't care what you say, unless they know that you care." "Preach the Gospel and when necessary, use words." I think St. Francis is the author of that last quote.

Earlier this morning there was a panel discussion with three atheists who told us of their world view and how they view Christians and Christianity. Since so many Christians have treated atheists as the enemy, as almost unhuman, they do not trust Christians. But in reality, atheists, like all other groups of people and like Christians, are humans.

I've also met some wonderful Christians here, and I'm excited to read many of their blogposts. That's all for now.

Steve R.

6 comments:

Debby said...

Enjoy the conference post. It all sounds really interesting. I agree about the listening part, it is all so very important to listen. In most cases that's all someone needs more than advice.

Agent B said...

...and speaking of listening, you are an excellent listener. Very good to know you. Keep in touch.

RCM- Steve said...

Thanks for commenting Debby. I often wonder why so many christians ignore James' admonition, "be slow to speak and quick to listen..."

RCM- Steve said...

agent b, you're da man! Enjoyed getting to know you. I will keep in touch.

Melzoe said...

It was so good to meet you at the conference! I very much enjoyed chatting with you. Thanks for coming all the way out here! I'm glad to have found your blog, too-- Melissa :)

RCM- Steve said...

Melissa, your warmth and friendliness made me feel very welcomed and at ease. My biggest blessing at the conference by far was meeting so many wonderful sisters and brothers. I look forward to keeping in touch!